Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thursday,Day 1 of Chemo #4 - and an E.R. glimpse

I'm finally at the last of the yukkier part of my chemotherapy - After this treatment I have 4 cycles (21-days) of only 1 drug, Taxotere, which is supposed to cause fewer side effects overall - less nausea and less decrease in my white count. (However, it can possibly cause "peripheral neuralgia" - effects on the nerves of the hands/fingers and/or toes/feet/legs such as numbness and tingling.) I'm OK with trading the nausea and other stuff for this other possibility.

Things went OK at the clinic this morning except that they couldn't draw blood from my intravenous chest port again, but there was no problem with infusing the medicine, so that's good. Just meant I had to have an additional stick in my arm, no biggie. Hopefully, the port can be unclogged again. Tomorrow afternoon is "shot in the tummy day" (the white cell booster).

I've had a slight headache and have been taking Tylenol, and I've had popsicles and juice and water, and later in the evening had some bland solid food including an egg custard I made....I messed it up in that my eyes wandered to the page next to the recipe I was following and I got two different custard recipes mixed up with each other! So the custard has a good taste, but doesn't have the right texture. It's quite edible, but I think I'll try again tomorrow if I'm feeling OK since the texture what I really love about egg custard! Where are those instant Jello custard mixes I used to be able to find???? They seem to have disappeared. Or maybe I'll just pick up a an egg custard pie from K&W on my way home from the doctor tomorrw - and some TCBY white chocolate mousse yogurt - yum! : ) I'm trying to stick to a lot of cold soft foods - they seem more palatable, although soup is good too.

I've just taken some sleep-inducing nausea medicine (although the nausea is not very noticeable yet - usually gets worse starding on the 3rd day), but it also helps the headache and insomnia, so I'm off to hopefully get a good night's sleep. Of course, I HAD to stay up and watch a new episode of ER, where Abby is drinking again, and cheated on Luka (with her gross bald not-so-nice supervisor) while he was visiting his sick father in Croatia!!! Very sad - Not like the Abby I thought I knew...a bit of a stretch for her character, I think, despite her alcoholic past. Will she confess to Luka, or will the agony of her lapse in judgment eat away at her and keep her drinking??? Tune in 2 wks from now at this same Bat Channel for the (no doubt) riveting progression of this tale....: )

No comments: